Best Child Specialist in Noida (+91) 9811463585, 9212705856



Best Child Specialist in Noida

Know the symptoms, Causes and Treatment of Bronchitis in Children

When your child has a cold, sore throat, flu, or sinus infection, the virus can spread to the bronchi. Once the germs affect airways the airways, they begin to swell and block due to mucus. When there is inflammation in the bronchial tubes, mucus starts to form in excess, and due to excess mucus, the child starts having difficulty in breathing. Viral bronchitis usually lasts about 7 to 10 days in children. However, for children who also have a cough, it can last for 3 to 4 weeks.

The pathogens that cause bronchitis are contagious and spread through the sputum of an infected child, which can spread through droplets produced during sneezing, coughing, or laughing.

Causes of Bronchitis

90% of acute bronchitis cases are caused by viral infections, and the remaining 10% are caused by bacterial infections. The problem of acute bronchitis in the child can lead to repeated attacks, if not get treated properly. The problem of chronic bronchitis can also arise due to industrial pollution and cigarette smoke.

Some of the viral infections that cause acute bronchitis are:

1. Influenza

2. Adenovirus

3. Rhinovirus

4. Respiratory syncytial virus

5. Herpes simplex virus

6. Human bocavirus

Other causes of bronchitis in children are:

1. Fungal infection

2. Chronic aspiration

3. gastroesophageal reflux


In the initial stage, you may see symptoms similar to those of a common cold, such as sore throat, chest congestion, lethargy, runny nose, chills, chest pain, mild wheezing and mild fever, dry cough that causes green mucus is formed which later turns yellow.

Sometimes the child may experience severe respiratory problems, which include difficulty in breathing, feeling tired, loss of sleep and appetite, and a rapid heartbeat. Children infected with bronchitis have a wheezing sound in their cough.


If this respiratory disorder is not treated at the right time, then this small disease can become a big health issue. A parent needs to recognize the symptoms of bronchitis so that they can seek medical help at the right time and the child's lungs can be protected from infection and inflammation.

Chronic bronchitis needs to be treated with antibiotics. Sometimes dilated bronchodilators are prescribed to help the child breathe without pain or discomfort and to relieve the problem of narrowed airways.

Decongestant helps to remove mucus from irritated and inflamed airways, helping your baby to breathe easier.

Oxygen therapy also relieves the symptoms. Pulse oximetry results show the oxygen level in your baby's blood in this condition he is given oxygen therapy.


Most cases of bronchitis are mild and do not require specific treatment. You can reduce the symptoms of infection by taking some simple steps to treat bronchitis. But if symptoms are getting worse then a visit to the pediatrician is a must. If you have concerns about children's illnesses and vaccinations, discuss them with your child's doctor or dr vipin jain who is best pediatrician in Noida.


Latest Blog

Medical profession is not only sickness oriented, we can help you in prevention of numerous infections/disorders.

Make An Appointment